Are you looking for a rewarding and exciting career? The Huntington Fire Department is now accepting applications through 4:30 p.m. on August 23, 2019.
Applications are available in Room 16 (City Clerk’s Office) at City Hall, located at 800 5th Ave, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. You must be a U.S. citizen, be between the ages of 18 and 35 (cannot have reached 36th birthday at time of application), and have a high school diploma or GED equivalent to be eligible to apply.
Starting salary is $35,975 and increases to $40,749 after the fifth year.
• Firefighters work an average 56-hour work week with all hours over 40 hours being paid at time-and-a-half.
• Longevity pay. After completing 3 years of service, an increase of $0.03 per hour per year is added to hourly rate. (Example: 3 years of service would equal $0.09 added to hourly rate. 10 years of service would equal $0.30 added to hourly rate).
• Paid vacation. After the completion of 1 year of service, all firefighters receive 12 24-hour shifts of paid vacation time each year. After 7 years of service, all firefighters receive 15 24-hour shifts of paid vacation time each year. After 14 years of service, all firefighters receive 18 24-hour shifts of paid vacation time each year.
• Holidays. All firefighters that work on any of the State Holidays will receive overtime pay for working.
• Hospitalization. All firefighters are eligible for Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance at a rate of $90.00 per month for individual coverage or $217.00 per month for family coverage. Vision coverage and prescription plan are included.
• Health Reimbursement Account. All firefighters that are covered by the City’s health insurance plan will receive a Health Reimbursement Account in the amount of $1,000 for individual coverage or $2,000 for family coverage annually.
• Life Insurance. All firefighters receive a $35,000 employer paid life insurance policy.
• Pension plan. All firefighters are included in the State pension plan.
• After completion of a one-year probationary period, all firefighters are eligible for membership in the International Association of Fire Fighters, Local 289.
• All firefighters also have additional job security under state Civil Service laws.
• Opportunity to earn an Associate’s Degree through Mountwest Community and Technical College with educational credits for on-the-job training through the State Apprenticeship Program. More information can be found at the following link: http://www.mctc.edu/program/occupational-development/occupational-development
Eligible candidates will take a written exam at 5 p.m. on Sept. 3 at the Tri-State Fire Academy, 4200 Ohio River Road. A Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) will be conducted Nov. 4-6 at Centennial Fire Station No. 1, 839 7th Ave. For more information about the CPAT, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTWlyEqGqU.
Candidates who successfully complete the written exam and CPAT will be placed on an eligibility list. All new hires will be selected from the eligibility list.
For more information, contact Lt. Clifford Hankins at 304-751-6299.
News Home | Press Releases