Click here to take a short survey about recycling in Huntington
Cabell Huntington Hospital is a nonprofit, regional referral center with 303 staffed beds. In 1956, Cabell Huntington opened and it now cares for patients from more than 29 counties throughout West Virginia, eastern Kentucky and southern Ohio. The hospital has four specialized care centers: the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, the Burn Intensive Care Unit and the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
The hospital houses the Marshall University Medical Center, the Edwards Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Hoops Family Children’s Hospital, which is a 27-bed hospital. Cabell Huntington is also a teaching hospital and is affiliated with Marshall University Schools of Medicine and Nursing.
Ebenezer Medical Outreach (EMO), established by the Ebenezer Unite Methodist Church in 1986, began as a free medical clinic to aid community residents who have no medical insurance and little or no money to pay for medical care. In 1988, a grant secured by the Marshall University School of Nursing enabled the clinic to expand its hours and to bring in family nurse practitioner Laura Darby. The clinic was still volunteer run.
In 1995, the organization became a 501(c) (3) organization in order to receive primary care funding from the State Bureau for Public Health. The hours of the clinic increased to 32 per week with a physician or family nurse practitioner on duty. Upon suggestion from former Mayor Jean Dean, EMO moved into the old Douglass High School building to accommodate the growing organization.
EMO opened a dental clinic in 2005 and hired the first full-time, paid nurse practitioner. Currently, 27 medical providers donate 325 hours per month to the EMO patients.
Huntington Internal Medicine Group (HIMG) is a multi-specialty practice with more than 60 physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners.
Since Hospice of Huntington’s founding in 1982, over 15,000 people from Cabell, Lincoln, Wayne and Mason Counties have been cared for. Hospice of Huntington, a non-profit agency, helps people with life-limiting illness control the symptoms keeping them from living everyday life.
The Marshall University School of Medicine was established in the 1970s through federal legislation, which authorized the creation of five new medical schools in conjunction with existing VA hospitals. The West Virginia Legislature appropriated funding for the school in 1975, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education granted provisional accreditation in 1977 and the first class entered in January 1978.
Beginning in 1998, Marshall Health opened three new multi-million dollar outpatient health care facilities: the Marshall University Medical Center, the Erma Ora Byrd Clinical Center and the Edwards Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Today, the highly-qualified health care providers of Marshall University’s Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine, collectively known as Marshall Health, care for patients at more than a dozen locations in the region and serve patients from 29 counties in three states.
Mildred Mitchell-Bateman Hospital, a state Department of Health and Human Resources supported psychiatric hospital, is a training site for health care professionals from more than twenty colleges and educational institutions in the Tri-State.
Mildred Mitchell-Bateman was established in 1897, making it the second oldest hospital in West Virginia. In 1988, the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Organizations accredited Mildred Bateman Hospital, and it became a Medicare-certified hospital in 1990.
River Park Hospital is a 165-bed facility that provides behavioral health services to children, adolescents, adults and seniors in both inpatient and residential settings.
River Park is accredited by the Joint Commission and is licensed by the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources Office of Health Facilities, Licensure and Certification and the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources Bureau for Children and Families.
Established in 1924, the Pallottine Missionary Sisters opened St. Mary’s as a 35-bed hospital. Now, St. Mary’s Medical Center is the largest medical facility in Huntington with 353 beds and is Cabell County’s largest private employer, employing over 2,600 individuals.
St. Mary’s features departments specializing in cardiac care, cancer treatment, emergency/trauma services, neuroscience and orthopedics. Partnering with Marshall University, St. Mary’s houses the St. Mary’s School of Nursing, the St. Mary’s School of Medical Imaging and the St. Mary’s School of Respiratory Care. Additionally, St. Mary’s trains medical residents in several specialties.
Hospice of Huntington was founded by Laura Darby, a Marshall University senior nursing student, and was the first Medicare-certified hospice in West Virginia.
Since 1975, Valley Health has provided primary and preventative care to the Tri-State. Valley Health operates more than 30 facilities and is home to medical experts who provide care in family medicine; women’s health; dentistry; internal medicine; ear, nose and throat; optometry; pediatrics; and behavioral health. It also administers pharmacies; school-based health centers; Women, Infants and Children (WIC) services; and programs for the homeless.
As a community health center, Valley Health provides quality health care to all and accepts most insurances, Medicaid and Medicare as well as offers a sliding-fee scale program for those without insurance. For more information, visit www.valleyhealth.org.