- Examples of allowable handyman services include minor repairs, changing out windows and doors, painting, lawn care services, roof repair, and assembling storage buildings.
- Handymen can repair or install electric, plumbing, or HVAC if they have their HVAC certification, individual certification of a master or journeyman plumber and/or their master electrical certification through the Fire Marshal’s office.
- If the cost of the project is $2,500 or more in material and labor a contractor's license is needed.
- For more information on approved Handyman services contact the Permit Technician at (304) 696-5905.
- All handymen need to obtain a Huntington Business License before conducting business in the city limits.
- The Business License is $20.00 per fiscal year (July 1 to June 30).
- Forms can be found on the City of Huntington website at www.cityofhuntington.com.
- The WV Division of Labor Contractor Licensing does not issue a handyman license. Work performed under $2,500.00 (materials and labor, total contract not just the work you are performing) does not require a State Contractor’s license. Work over this amount requires you to obtain a Contractor’s License for the type of work being performed.
- Licensing requirements are based on the total contract for the project, not just the individual portions.
- Anyone assisting with a project that is not an employee will need a business license and will follow the same Handyman requirements.
- You will need to provide the following documentation when applying for a business license:
- A copy of your WV Business Registration Certificate from the WV State Tax Department.
- If you live in Huntington city limits a Home Occupation Permit is needed.
- If you do not own your home you will need the landlord’s signature on the Home Occupation application.
- All handymen will need to file a Business and Occupation (B & O) Tax Return.
- When a building permit is issued for a project the B&O Tax is filed under the contractor classification which is 2% of the gross receipts on labor and materials.
- For projects and services not needing a building permit (ex. lawn care services), the B&O Tax will be filed under the service classification which is .5% of the gross receipts.
- You will need to list your Project Name, Location, and Gross Income on the back of the return (Schedule C).
- Make sure to indicate on the form if there is no reportable activity during the filing period and return by the due date to avoid unnecessary delinquent notices.
- City Service Fee (CSF) will need to be withheld from the owner and any employees’ paychecks.
- The fee is $5.00 per week for every week worked inside city limits.
- CSF is required to be collected for each employee for every week that the employee has worked inside city limits regardless of the amount of time worked each week.
- Effective January 1, 2012, WV Sales and Use Tax increased from 6% to 7% inside city limits.
- For more information contact the WV State Tax Department at 1-800-982-8297.
For additional information please contact:
City of Huntington
Business and Licensing: 304.696.5540 press option 4
Inspections and Permits: 304.696.5540 press option 2
Zoning: 304.696.5540 press option 3
WV State Tax Department: 1-800-982-8297
WV Division of Labor: (304) 558-7890