City of The official website of Huntington, WV


Opening a Business in the City

Business Services Advocate

The Business Services Advocate is available to assist business owners in navigating zoning, permitting, and licensing processes.   For more information please contact, Sharon Pell at 304.696.5540 ext. 2315 or by email at or contact Becky Bartlett, B&O and Licensing Specialist, at 304.696.5540 ext. 2314 or by email at

How To Get Started

Commercial Businesses

  • A Certificate of Occupancy permit is required for all businesses with a physical location in the city limits of Huntington.  

Home-Based Businesses

  • A Home Occupation permit is required for all home-based businesses located in the city limits of Huntington.
  • The Home Occupation Permit is valid July 1 to June 30.  The permit is renewed annually at the same time as your business license.

Businesses With Additional Requirements

Contractors and Subcontractors

Business License Renewal

A preprinted renewal will be mailed around the first of June each year.  A business license is valid for one year starting from July 1 and ending June 30.  All business licenses expire on June 30th of each year.  Business license fees are not prorated.

Business & Occupation (B&O) and City Service Fee (CSF) Accounts

Other Resources

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

Register with the WV Secretary of State and WV State Tax Department

Alcohol Beverage and Control Administration

WV Division of Labor

Cabell-Huntington Health Department

Cabell County Assessor

WV Small Business Development Center

Unlimited Future, Inc.

Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce