Handyman Requirements

1. Examples of allowable handyman services include minor repairs, changing out windows and doors, painting, lawn care services, roof repair, and assembling storage buildings.

  • Handymen can repair or install electrical, plumbing, or HVAC if they have their HVAC certification, individual certification of a master or journeyman plumber, and/or their master electrical certification through the Fire Marshal’s office.  
  • Work performed on a residential project under $5,000 or a commercial project under $25,000 (materials and labor, total contract - not just the work you are performing) does not require a license, other than a West Virginia Business Registration Certificate and Municipal Business License. Projects that are or above these amounts require you to obtain a WV Contractor License for the type of work being contracted and/or subcontracted or performed.
  • For more information on approved Handyman services contact the Permit Technician at 304-696-5540 ext. 2003.

2. All handymen need to obtain a Municipal Business License before conducting business in the city limits.

  • The Business License is $20.00 per fiscal year (July 1 to June 30).
  • Business License Applications are accepted by email, mail, or in person.
  • Licensing requirements are based on the total contract for the project, not just the individual portions.
  • Anyone assisting with a project that is not an employee will need a business license and will follow the same Handyman requirements.

3. You will need to provide the following documentation when applying for a business license:

4. All handymen will need to file a Business and Occupation (B&O) Tax Return.

  • When a building permit is issued for a project the B&O Tax is filed under the contractor classification which is 2% of the gross receipts on labor and materials.
  • For projects and services not needing a building permit (ex. lawn care services), the B&O Tax will be filed under the service classification which is .5% of the gross receipts.
  • You will need to list your Project Name, Location, and Gross Income on the back of the return (Schedule C).
  • Make sure to indicate on the form if there is no reportable activity during the filing period and return by the due date to avoid unnecessary delinquent notices.

5. City Service Fee (CSF) will need to be withheld from the owner and any employees’ paychecks.

  • The fee is $5.00 per week for every week worked inside city limits.
  • CSF is required to be collected for each employee for every week that the employee has worked inside city limits regardless of the amount of time worked each week.

6. WV Sales and Use Tax is 7% inside city limits.

  • For more information contact the WV State Tax Department at 1-800-982-8297.

The City of Huntington Boundary Map allows you to enter an address on the top left-hand search bar and see if the address is within city limits. If the address comes up green then it is within city limits.

For additional information please contact:

City of Huntington

Business and Licensing:  304.696.5540 press option 4
Inspections and Permits:  304.696.5540 press option 2
Zoning:  304.696.5540 press option 3

State Agencies

WV State Tax Department:  1-800-982-8297
WV Division of Labor:  (304) 558-7890