The Sanitation and Trash Division is responsible for weekly, curbside refuse pickup of residential garbage throughout Huntington. The division runs seven daily routes with trucks that can reach space-restricted streets.
- Weekly garbage should not be set out for collection before 6 p.m. the night before it is to be collected.
- Brush or limbs should be tied in bundles not exceeding forty-eight (48) inches in length by eighteen (18) inches in diameter. The total brush bundle should not weigh more than seventy-five (75) pounds.
- It is unlawful to blow sweep grass clippings, leaves, or other yard waste into the street as it clogs storm drains and contributes to flooding problems (Codified Ordinances of the City of Huntington, Article 960.02).
Items the City of Huntingtion will not collect:
- Needles, syringes, tires, car batteries, motor oil or petroleum products, offal, animal carcasses, sewage, or any type of biohazardous material.
- Paint cans with liquid paint (if you put kitty litter or sand into cans to dry out, the city can dispose of them).
- Any appliances which have refrigerant (such as refrigerators, air-conditioners, freezers, etc.) unless the compressor has been removed.
- Fuel/gas tanks (the only way the city can dispose of it is if the tank has been cut in half and cleaned out).
**These items are regulated by the DEP/EPA (304.926.0490) and need to be disposed according to EPA guidelines.
Need a Special Pickup?
The Sanitation and Trash Division also handles monthly pickups of non-household garbage throughout the City.
Guidelines for a Special Pickup:
- Resident should request a Special Collection Pickup.
- The City will assess the order.
- Resident wil be contacted by the City about the price of the pickup.
- Refuse/brush will be scheduled for pickup according to normal collection schedule.
There is NO CHARGE for pickup if BOTH of the following apply:
- The load requires not more than one (1) eight-foot pickup truck for removal.
- There is not more than one (1) pickup per month.
Residents can call the Public Works Department at 304.696.5540 (press option 1 for Public Works) to schedule a pickup.